Love it or hate it as they say! This quick and easy spaghetti carbonara recipe is a twist on the classic dish using Marmite which gives it a delicious umami flavour. Serve with a generous sprinkle of parmesan and parsley. Super quick and so yummy.
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp Marmite
- 30g parmesan, finely grated, plus extra to serve
- 175g spaghetti or linguine
- 1 garlic clove, squashed a bit with the side of a knife
- extra virgin olive oil
- Small Handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped to serve
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil while you mash together the egg yolks, Marmite and grated parmesan with some freshly ground pepper. Once the water is boiling, add the pasta and cook until just tender.
Put the garlic and 2 tbsp olive oil in a cold frying pan, then bring to a medium heat and fry until the garlic is golden and crispy, then fish it out and discard.
Reserve a small cup of the pasta water then drain. Take the frying pan off the heat and tip in the pasta, followed by the Marmite mixture and a good splash of cooking water. Toss together until the pasta is glossy and evenly coated. Serve with plenty more grated parmesan and a sprinkling of parsley.