These are so delicious and easy to make, great on its own with a cuppa. For an extra treat top with a generous dollop of clotted cream.
- 200g butter, plus extra for the tin
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 100g plain flour
- 100g ground almonds
- small pinch of ground cinnamon
- 6 large egg whites (freeze the egg yolks for another recipe)
- 150g raspberry’s
- 100g white chocolate chips or chunks
- icing sugar, for dusting
- Melt the butter in a small pan until sizzling. Watch it carefully – the butter will foam, and, when the foam subsides, it will turn from yellow to a nutty brown. Remove from the heat, tip into a bowl to stop it cooking and leave to cool.
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Butter a 20 x 25cm baking tin at least 4cm deep and line with baking parchment. Mix the sugar, flour, almonds and cinnamon together. Beat the egg whites in a separate large bowl using an electric whisk to soft peaks. Fold the beaten egg whites into the flour mix using a large metal spoon. Slowly pour in the brown butter, folding it in until everything is combined and the batter is light. Scrape into the prepared tin. Scatter over the raspberries and chocolate.
- Bake for 20-25 mins until firm. Leave to cool in the tin, then dust with some icing sugar and cut into squares or bars. Will keep, well wrapped, for up to three days at room temperature.