Winter inspired tea isn’t just for Christmas but an all round treat. It certainly works well in this easy to make tea loaf. You just need to be patient and leave the fruit to steep overnight.
- 350 g mixed dried fruit
- 225 g soft light brown sugar
- 300 ml hot tea made with Pennington’s winter tea .
- 275 g self-raising flour
- zest of a lemon
- 1 large egg beaten
- Put the dried fruit and sugar in a bowl and pour over the hot tea.
- Leave to soak overnight, or if you are in a hurry for two hours.
- Heat the oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2
- Line a 900g/2lb loaf tin with baking parchment or use a loaf tin liner
- Add the flour, lemon zest and beaten egg and stir with a spoon till mixed through.
- Bake for 11/4 to 11/2 hrs or until it is well risen, firm to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Peel of the baking paper or liner and serve sliced with or without butter